Amanda Holden is a British media personality best known as a judge on Britain’s Got Talent since 2007. Despite her popularity and success on the show, Holden has faced significant backlash and criticism over the years from some viewers and members of the public. There are several reasons why Amanda Holden has garnered dislike and even hatred from certain groups of people.
Reasons for Dislike of Amanda Holden
Perceived Arrogance and Rudeness
One of the most common complaints about Amanda Holden is that she comes across as arrogant, rude, and full of herself on Britain’s Got Talent. Some examples cited include:
- Dismissive reactions and comments towards contestants she doesn’t like
- Arguments with fellow judges, particularly Simon Cowell
- Self-aggrandizing statements about her own celebrity status
Many feel her judgements are unnecessarily cruel or harsh at times. Her perceived superiority complex and ego have rubbed some viewers the wrong way.
Controversial Outfit Choices
Holden has come under fire multiple times for wearing overly revealing, risque outfits on Britain’s Got Talent that some deemed inappropriate for a family show. Examples include a low-cut dress in 2017 that received over 200 Ofcom complaints and a gown in 2020 that drew criticism for showing her nipples.
While Holden has defended her right to wear what she wants, her penchant for pushing style boundaries has been seen by some as distasteful attention-seeking or disregard for the show’s audience.
Changed After Fame and Fortune
There is a perception among some that the fame and success Holden has achieved as a BGT judge has made her lose touch with reality and everyday people.
She’s been accused of living in a bubble of wealth and privilege, becoming disconnected from normal life. Things like flaunting her lavish vacations and lifestyle on social media have added to this resentment.
Television Personality Over Actual Talent
Some criticize Amanda Holden for primarily being famous simply for being a TV personality rather than having exceptional talent or achievements as a performer or singer in her own right.
Her failed attempt to launch a music career with her album Songs from My Heart was seen as inauthentic. This feeds into the belief she’s an untalented celebrity trading mostly on unearned fame.
Overexposure and Omnipresence on ITV
As one of ITV’s most ubiquitous personalities, appearing not just on BGT but also shows like I Can See Your Voice, Amanda Holden is seen by some viewers as constantly shoved in their faces.
The perception of preferential treatment from ITV and Simon Cowell leads to criticism that she’s overexposed and given excessive air time regardless of public opinion.
Allegations of Favouritism on BGT
There is a recurring accusation that Holden shows favouritism on BGT towards singers and musical theatre acts, especially those who perform covers of famous songs and lack originality.
She’s been criticized for providing over-the-top positive feedback to mediocre singers while dismissing unique novelty and variety acts. Claims of bloc voting with Simon Cowell add to suspicion of unfair bias.
Rubbing Shoulders with Controversial Figures
Holden’s associations with certain divisive celebrities, such as befriending Piers Morgan or appearing on James Corden’s show, have led some to make judgements about her character by the company she keeps.
This guilt-by-association evaluation means that disdain toward her friends and collaborators transfers onto how some people perceive Amanda Holden herself.
Not Taking Criticism Well
When members of the public or media outlets criticize Amanda Holden for any of the factors above, she often reacts defensively. Attempts to address the issues are seen as dismissive or insulting rather than displaying humility.
Her unwillingness to acknowledge legitimate critique has fostered more negativity from people who believe she lacks self-awareness about her own behavior and image.
In Defense of Amanda Holden
However, there are also perspectives in defense of Amanda Holden and her conduct:
- She has judged hundreds of acts and provided both positive and negative feedback over many years – some criticisms may isolate selective examples that misrepresent the broader picture.
- Strong opinions and outfit choices are part of her job to provide entertainment and commentary. She should have the freedom to express herself.
- She overcame trauma like her son’s stillbirth, so she deserves some understanding for how she chooses to live and enjoy her success.
- Her charity work for causes like stillbirth research demonstrates she does care about giving back.
- She can’t control media coverage focused on her – claims of overexposure are better directed at ITV and producers.
- Associating with controversial figures doesn’t mean she holds their exact same views. Judging her by company kept is unfair.
- Responses labelled “defensive” may just be her bold style of addressing issues head on rather than meek capitulation.
Amanda Holden’s Contribution to BGT’s Success
Regardless of how audiences perceive her controversies and conduct, there is evidence that Amanda Holden has been an integral part of Britain’s Got Talent’s massive success:
- She has helped make BGT the top-rated UK talent show for over a decade.
- Her chemistry and bants with Simon Cowell are a major highlight that viewers tune in for.
- She provides a strong female presence and perspective to balance the judging panel.
- Her glamorous sense of style attracts significant media attention.
- She engages actively with contestants, showing emotion and passion.
- The show wouldn’t be the same without her – it needs her personality as a judge audiences love to watch and react to.
The Public’s Volatile Relationship with Fame
Analyzing the reasons for Amanda Holden’s unpopularity also puts the spotlight on the often fickle nature of public perception towards celebrities in general:
- The public build up individuals with fame and success, then tear them down at the first sign of perceived arrogance or wrongdoing.
- Famous women frequently face criticism for behaviours that are praised or shrugged off in their male counterparts.
- Celebrities are damned when they flaunt wealth and damned when they don’t show enough gratitude. It’s a precarious line to walk.
- Entertainment personalities have to constantly evolution and reinvent themselves to hold the public’s interest. They aren’t allowed to just coast on early fame.
- The public expect impossibly high standards from those in the spotlight they’ve placed there in the first place.
- In the age of social media, celebrities have less control over narratives and face intense scrutiny. There is no forgiveness.
While Amanda Holden certainly isn’t immune from genuine critiques of her work and conduct, the vitriol she faces also reflects society’s habit of building up idols just to enjoy tearing them down again. It demonstrates the complicated love-hate dynamic between the media and their celebrity obsessions.
In summary, Amanda Holden elicits significant dislike from some due to perceptions of arrogance, inappropriate attire, changed behaviour with fame, lack of talent, overexposure, favouritism and unprofessional relationships. However, these charges may at times lack nuance or proportion.
She has clearly made major contributions to Britain’s Got Talent. The extreme polarity of reactions to Holden also reveals the public’s tendency to idolize and demonize celebrities and display overt sexism towards female TV personalities. While people don’t have to enjoy Holden or her judging style, the degree of hatred she provokes stands out as disproportionate and should encourage reflection on society’s own role in creating then denigrating prominent figures in the public eye.
Most Common Reasons for Disliking Amanda Holden
- Arrogance and harsh critiques on Britain’s Got Talent
- Controversial, revealing outfits worn on BGT
- Perception she has changed personality with fame
- Seen more as a TV personality than talent/singer
- High level of exposure on ITV
- Allegations of favoritism/bloc voting on BGT
- Associations and relationships with divisive celebrities
- Defensive reactions to criticism about her
What Are Amanda Holden’s Positive Contributions to BGT?
- Helped make it the top UK talent show for over 10 years
- Popular chemistry and banter with Simon Cowell
- Provides strong female presence to balance judges
- Brings glamour and attracts media attention
- Shows emotion and actively engages with acts
- Her prominent personality is an essential part of the show
How Does Amanda Holden Reflect Society’s Relationship With Fame?
- Public build up celebrities then tear them down
- Famous women face criticism men don’t for same behaviours
- Wealth flaunting leads to jealousy, lack of gratitude to backlash
- Entertainment stars must constantly reinvent themselves
- Impossibly high standards set for those in spotlight
- Scrutiny and lack of forgiveness in age of social media
Frequently Asked Questions about Dislike for Amanda Holden
Why do people say Amanda Holden is arrogant?
People accuse Amanda Holden of arrogance due to her dismissive reactions to contestants she doesn’t like on BGT and arguments with fellow judges like Simon Cowell. She comes across as having a superiority complex.
What controversial outfits has she worn on BGT?
Examples include a low-cut Julien Macdonald dress in 2017 that received 200+ Ofcom complaints and a sheer Molly Goddard gown in 2020 that revealed her nipples and drew criticism.
How has fame changed Amanda Holden?
She is perceived by some as out of touch from normal life, flaunting lavish vacations and wealth on social media. They believe early fame made her ego grow out of control.
Is Amanda Holden talented at singing?
Critics argue she is mostly famous for being on TV rather than having much talent as a performer in her own right, as evidenced by her failed attempt to launch a music career.
Why is Amanda Holden accused of favouritism on BGT?
She faces recurring accusations that she shows bias towards singers and theatre acts while giving unfairly harsh critiques to offbeat, novelty acts.
How does Amanda Holden react to criticism about her?
Attempts to critique her are often met defensively. She seems unwilling to acknowledge legitimate issues people raise about her behavior and public persona.
What charity work does Amanda Holden do?
She has been involved in fundraising and campaigns for causes like stillbirth and premature birth research following her son Theo’s stillbirth in 2011.
How does Amanda Holden contribute to BGT’s success?
She has great chemistry with Simon Cowell, provides a strong female presence on the judges panel, and her glamorous persona attracts significant media attention.
Why does the public build up then tear down celebrities?
When celebrities are perceived as arrogant or out-of-touch, the public who made them famous feel justified in cutting them down in response to perceived “betrayal” of expectations.
How does social media intensify scrutiny of celebrities like Amanda Holden?
Social media allows constant critique of celebrities in the public eye with little forgiveness. Stars have less control over narratives about them.