6ix9ine, also known as Tekashi69 or Daniel Hernandez, is one of the most controversial rappers in recent years. With his rainbow-colored hair, aggressive style, and legal issues, he has developed a reputation for courting controversy and public ire. But why exactly do so many people dislike or even hate 6ix9ine?
Main Reasons for 6ix9ine Hate
His Music and Persona are Considered Annoying
One of the biggest reasons people dislike 6ix9ine is that they find his music and public persona to be irritating or annoying. Some of the specific issues include:
- His high-pitched, screaming vocal style on songs.
- Repetitive, simplistic lyrics and flows.
- Hyper, outlandish behavior and social media presence.
- Controversial lyrics and videos considered “trolling” by many.
For these reasons, 6ix9ine is often labeled as someone trying too hard to seek attention and controversy, rather than focusing on quality music. This rubbing people the wrong way leads to a lot of animosity and critics.
He Cooperated with Federal Authorities
In 2019, 6ix9ine was charged with federal crimes relating to his involvement with the Nine Trey Gangsta Bloods gang. He ultimately pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with authorities in exchange for a reduced sentence.
Many argue 6ix9ine violated the code of the streets by “snitching” and informing on others to help himself. This has made him a hated figure among gang members, hip hop fans, and those who feel he betrayed others.
His Legal Issues and Controversies
Aside from the federal charges in 2019, 6ix9ine has developed a long rap sheet and history of controversy over the years:
- 2015: Pleaded guilty for the use of a child in a sexual performance over explicit videos he filmed involving a 13-year old.
- Multiple assault charges in 2018 relating to incidents with rival rappers.
- Probation violations, suspended licenses, and other legal issues.
Overall, his perceived lack of remorse and embrace of controversy even in the face of legal charges rubs many as evidence of immaturity and a lack of morals.
Perception He Exploits Hip Hop Culture
There is a perception among some hip hop fans that 6ix9ine exploits the culture of rap music and hip hop primarily for notoriety and money, without respect for its artistic and cultural significance.
Factors like his lack of knowledge of hip hop history and swing towards commercial, headline-grabbing music reinforce this belief for some. They feel he thumbs his nose at genuine hip hop culture.
His Insults and Behavior Towards Others
6ix9ine is known for aggressively insulting and berating others, particularly on Instagram and in interviews. He has hurled insults at rappers like The Game, Meek Mill, YG, and others.
Fans argue this overly-hostile behavior towards other artists is unnecessary and more evidence of his obnoxious approach.
Association With Hip Hop Figures People Dislike
One other factor contributing to 6ix9ine hate is his association with certain controversial hip hop figures that the public already dislikes. For example, 6ix9ine has collaborated multiple times with Nicki Minaj, who has become unpopular with some due to her own issues.
6ix9ine also associates with other rappers like Trippie Redd and Kanye West when they are in the headlines for negative reasons, furthering his guilt by association.
In Defense of 6ix9ine
However, while these are some of the main reasons 6ix9ine receives hate and criticism, there are also counterpoints in defense of the rapper:
- His music and personality, while divisive, do have a genuine appeal with fans. He has multiple RIAA-certified platinum and multi-platinum singles.
- Cooperating with federal authorities potentially saved him decades in prison away from his family. Most people would likely do the same in his situation.
- He has tried to learn from past legal troubles, like publicly donating $200,000 to anti-gang organizations after the 2019 guilty plea.
- No matter his motivations, he has given millions of dollars to charity and individuals in need based on social media documentation.
- Insulting other celebrities is part of the modern gossip culture, not isolated to just 6ix9ine. He also has specific rap feuds, not universal contempt.
- He comes from a difficult upbringing surrounded by crime and has tattoos supporting his deceased father. This may provide context for some of his behavioral issues and tough persona.
6ix9ine’s Music Sales and Streaming Numbers
Despite all the controversies and detractors, 6ix9ine remains one of the most popular and commercially successful rappers operating today. Some key metrics on his music sales and streams:
- Over 15 billion total streams across all music platforms like Spotify.
- Multiple platinum-certified singles, including “Gooba” (4x), “Trollz” (1x), “Fefe” (5x), “Stoopid” (1x), and more.
- Record-setting streams for his comeback song “Gooba” in 2020 with over 180 million views in one week.
- Chart-topping albums like Dummy Boy (2018) and TattleTales (2020) debuting at #2 and #1 on the Billboard 200 album chart.
Clearly, while many may hate 6ix9ine, he retains a significant fanbase providing huge financial success in the rap game.
Streams and Sales Breakdown
|FEFE (feat. Nicki Minaj & Murda Beatz)||5x Platinum||March 29, 2019|
|GOOBA||4x Platinum||June 18, 2020|
|TROLLZ (feat. Nicki Minaj)||Platinum||September 8, 2020|
|STOOPID (feat. Bobby Shmurda)||Platinum||December 11, 2018|
In the end, 6ix9ine is a divisive figure who elicits strong reactions from both fans and detractors. While his music and public persona certainly have many critics, he also has found significant commercial success and a dedicated fanbase drawn to his unapologetic, viral brand of trap rap.
As he continues releasing more music following his prison release, and likely courting more headlines, the debate around 6ix9ine is sure to continue, for better or worse. But analyzing the deeper sources behind peoples’ contempt shows the complicated love-hate relationship audiences have with such a controversial, yet successful rap artist.
FAQs about 6ix9ine Hate
Why do people call 6ix9ine a snitch?
People call 6ix9ine a snitch mainly for cooperating federal authorities in 2019 against his former gang associates in the Nine Trey Gangsta Bloods. By informing on their criminal activities for a reduced sentence, many felt 6ix9ine violated the code of the streets.
What crimes is 6ix9ine accused of?
6ix9ine’s main criminal charges were for federal racketeering, firearms, and drug trafficking charges related to the Nine Trey Gangsta Bloods in 2019. He also pleaded guilty in 2015 for use of a child in a sexual performance over explicit videos filmed with a minor.
What is 6ix9ine’s real name?
6ix9ine’s real name is Daniel Hernandez. He is of Mexican heritage and was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY.
Why does 6ix9ine have rainbow hair?
The rainbow hair has become 6ix9ine’s trademark look and brand. He started dyeing it in rainbow patterns to stand out and match his hyper, trolling public persona. The hair has undergone many different colored iterations over the years.
Is 6ix9ine still popular?
Yes, 6ix9ine remains very popular and one of rap’s biggest stars. Despite the hate and controversies, his comeback song “Gooba” in 2020 set records, and he continues to have hit singles and albums reaching the Billboard charts. His fanbase of “scum gang” supporters are as passionate as ever.