Ewan McGregor is a popular Scottish actor known for roles in movies like Trainspotting, Moulin Rouge, Star Wars prequel trilogy, and more recently Obi-Wan Kenobi series.
While he has many fans around the world, some people have expressed dislike or hatred towards the actor over the years. There can be various reasons for this animosity.
Acting Style and Choices
Some people find Ewan McGregor’s acting style to be overrated or irritating at times.
- His delivery and accent in some roles may not appeal to all tastes. For example, some criticized his accent as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequels.
- He is seen as taking safe or predictable roles in blockbuster franchises like Star Wars rather than more challenging indie films that defined his early career.
- There is a feeling he does similar ‘intense’ acting in many of his roles making it seem somewhat repetitive.
Typecasting as Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ewan McGregor is synonymous with Obi-Wan Kenobi for many Star Wars fans. While he portrayed the character well, some people feel he has become defined only by this role.
- After the Star Wars prequels, he was typecast as Obi-Wan and struggled to take on other types of roles.
- Even in recent years, he returned to the Obi-Wan role for the Disney+ series rather than focusing on more diverse projects.
- Some fans wish he would challenge himself with new roles rather than keep returning to this famous character.
Perceived Lack of Humility or Gratitude
Another complaint about McGregor is his perceived arrogance or lack of humility at times.
- In interviews over the years, some have felt he comes across as smug or ungrateful for his success.
- He has made comments about not caring much for fan praise or certain big budget projects that rub some the wrong way.
- Even his charity work is seen by some as an act for publicity rather than genuine goodwill.
- This apparent lack of modesty and gratitude in light of his fame turns some people off from him.
Personal Life and Controversies
Aspects of Ewan McGregor’s personal life have also sparked some backlash and damage to his public image.
- His highly publicized divorce from his wife of over 20 years was seen as messy and distasteful by some fans.
- He had an affair and daughter with a co-star during his marriage that created controversy surrounding infidelity.
- Reports of excessive partying, drinking, and carnal behavior make him less family-friendly in the eyes of some audiences.
- There are still remnants of backlash regarding his open disapproval of the Iraq War and calling some world leaders ‘villains’ in 2005.
Decline in Movie Quality Over Time
Another source of negativity towards McGregor is the perceived decline in the quality of his movies over the course of his career.
- After an impressive start in the 1990s, some argue the quality of his projects started decreasing.
- Films like The Island, Deception, Cassandra’s Dream, The Men Who Stare at Goats drew lackluster reviews and box office returns.
- Even the Star Wars prequels themselves were seen as disappointing by many fans.
So while unable to match his early success, Ewan was still appearing in high profile but mediocre films, annoying some cinema fans.
Too Much Exposure and Over-saturation
Ewan McGregor has been a prolific actor appearing in a movie almost every year since the 1990s. While active, this high volume of roles may have led to fatigue and overexposure.
- Moviegoers crave novelty, and always seeing the same actor can breed contempt for them over time regardless of talent.
- His exposure expanded more recently with the Obi-Wan TV show on Disney+ in a time of endless content.
- For some, ‘Ewan fatigue’ has set in from seeing him too much over the decades. Quieter periods focusing on quality over quantity may have helped.
Reasons Supporting Ewan McGregor
Despite the criticisms, Ewan McGregor remains popular and respected by many for good reasons.
Consistent Box Office Draw
While Ewan has been in some panned movies, he has remained a relatively consistent box office draw over the decades starring in many financially successful films.
- Scored hits with Moulin Rouge, Black Hawk Down, Big Fish, Angels and Demons etc.
- The Star Wars prequels, for their flaws, were still massively profitable due in part to his portrayal of Obi-Wan.
- Has shown he can anchor big budget movies as a lead actor.
Another strength is McGregor’s versatility as an actor. He has convincingly portrayed diverse roles across genres.
- Everything from a heroin addict in Trainspotting to a Jedi master in Star Wars.
- Musical numbers in Moulin Rouge! to an adventuring author in Mortdecai
- Voice work in animated films like Robots and TV series.
This flexibility speaks to his range as a performer.
Testimonials from Fellow Artists
Respect from fellow actors also validate McGregor’s talents.
- Directors like Danny Boyle, Tim Burton, Baz Luhrmann have praised his skills.
- Co-stars highlight his professionalism and friendliness on sets.
- Alec Guinness himself gave Ewan his blessing to take over as Obi-Wan Kenobi.
The high regard from peers in the business is a sign of his capabilities.
McGregor has stayed active over the years in using his platform for charity and good causes.
- Works with UNICEF to promote relief efforts for children.
- Avid motorcyclist who has done lengthy bike trips for various charities.
- Donates time/money to organizations like GO Campaign and Chrysalis.
This altruism has earned Ewan admiration for giving back.
Factors Impacting Audience Perception
There are a few key factors that likely shape the audience’s perception of Ewan McGregor either positively or negatively.
Familiarity Breeds Contempt Effect
Seeing the same actor repeatedly over decades can naturally breed fatigue and contempt after a certain point, even if unwarranted. This phenomenon may negatively impact perceptions of McGregor.
Nostalgia and First Impressions
First major impressions tend to stick. Those introduced to Ewan in Trainspotting or Moulin Rouge may have more fondness vs. younger fans who only know him as Obi-Wan.
Comparisons to Peers
Unfavorable comparisons to contemporaries like Daniel Day-Lewis, Christian Bale, etc may also breed resentment, despite it being an unfair comparison.
Personal Preferences and Taste
Beyond objective assessment of talent, McGregor’s style and roles may simply not appeal to the subjective preferences of some movie watchers.
Younger audiences are likely more familiar with him as Obi-Wan, while older generations appreciate his earlier diverse work. This can color assessments.
Future Outlook and Projections
While divisive, Ewan McGregor’s career outlook still appears strong for years to come. Some projections going forward:
- Will likely continue portraying Obi-Wan Kenobi in planned Star Wars projects given positive fan response so far. This may limit his range but provides job stability.
- Can leverage the Obi-Wan role to negotiate for more creative control and selective, passion project roles he wants to pursue.
- Unlikely to regain the critical acclaim of early indie film days but can focus on more quality over quantity film choices.
- Personal factors like charity work, family life etc could continue softening his image over time if handled properly.
- May transition to more mentor/supporting actor work vs lead roles as he advances in age. Could extend career longevity.
In conclusion, Ewan McGregor is a talented but divisive actor with both ardent fans and vocal detractors. Discontent about aspects of his acting style, career choices, over-exposure, arrogance and declining movie quality have bred resentment among some audiences.
However, his versatility, box office track record, peer/director respect and altruism point to his merits as a skilled actor. Perceptions are also shaped by nostalgia, taste and other factors.
While divisive, McGregor remains a relevant force in film with continued Star Wars works on the horizon and potential for critically acclaimed projects if he can continue reinventing his career.
FAQs About Why People Dislike Ewan McGregor
Why do some Star Wars fans dislike Ewan as Obi-Wan?
Some Star Wars purists disliked him as Obi-Wan in the prequels due to differences from Alec Guinness’s portrayal. His delivery and accent was also criticized. Many still feel he failed to live up to the original films.
What controversial comments has McGregor made over the years?
He called some world leaders ‘villains’ for the Iraq war in 2005 which sparked outrage. In 2017, he dismissively said he couldn’t care less about fan praise which came off as arrogant.
What real-life factors damaged his reputation?
His affair and messy public divorce from Eve Mavrakis hurt his reputation. Reports of heavy partying and carnal behavior also made him seem less family-friendly.
Has McGregor struggled to find roles post-Star Wars?
Yes, he was heavily typecast and struggled to land diverse high profile roles after the prequels. This may have fueled some resentment.
What are some of McGregor’s biggest box office flops?
Some of his poorly reviewed financial disappointments include The Island (2005), Cassandra’s Dream (2007), The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009) and Mortdecai (2015).
How have fellow actors defended working with McGregor?
Directors and co-stars widely describe him as a consummate professional who is prepared, hardworking and friendly on set. His temperament is praised.
Why didn’t McGregor appear in more indie films after Trainspotting?
While he did some like Moulin Rouge and Big Fish, he pivoted more to big budget blockbusters. Fans of his edgier early work were disappointed by this.
Has McGregor shown more humility in recent years?
As he advanced in age, Ewan has shown a bit more reflective humility about his career and gratitude for opportunities. This may have softened his image somewhat.
What are Ewan’s most critically acclaimed acting performances?
His most praised roles are in early films like Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Brassed Off, and Moulin Rouge. He has failed to match that critical success in recent decades.
How has McGregor given back over the years?
He has done lengthy motorcycle charity trips and worked with UNICEF, GO Campaign, Chrysalis and more. His philanthropic efforts generally earn praise.