King Charles III ascended to the British throne in September 2022 upon the passing of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II. In the months since becoming king, Charles has garnered significant popularity and admiration from the British public and royal watchers around the world. Here is an in-depth look at why King Charles III is so beloved.
His Dedication to Service
One of the main reasons people love King Charles is his lifelong dedication to public service. Charles has been preparing to be king his entire life and takes his role as monarch seriously.
Extensive Royal Training
- Charles is the longest serving heir apparent in British history – he’s been Prince of Wales since 1958 when he was just 10 years old.
- He attended Cambridge University and served in the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy.
- Since the 1990s, Charles has increasingly taken over leadership responsibilities from his mother, such as presiding over the opening of Parliament.
Passion for Philanthropy
- Charles has founded over 20 charities, many focused on issues like education, environmentalism, arts, and interfaith dialogue.
- His Prince’s Trust charity has helped over 1 million vulnerable young people get jobs and education.
- He raises over £100 million annually for his charities and frequently makes public appearances in support of their causes.
Commitment to Being Approachable
- As king, Charles has made efforts to be open and accessible to the public.
- He enjoys meeting with crowds, shaking hands, and making conversation when carrying out royal duties.
- Charles also frequently writes letters and gives interviews to share his thoughts and interests with the public.
His Modern Vision for the Monarchy
Another factor in Charles’ popularity is his forward-thinking approach to the role of the royal family. He has implemented changes to modernize and streamline the monarchy.
Pushing for a More Modest Monarchy
- As Prince of Wales, Charles reduced costs and staff at his household and advocated for a scaled-back monarchy focused on the direct line of succession.
- Now as king, he plans to continue slimming down the monarchy by reducing working royals to just Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, and their children.
- He aims to run a cost-effective monarchy that provides value for taxpayers’ money.
Increased Diversity and Inclusion
- Charles has notably diversified the royal staff and his charity work to be more inclusive of varied ethnicities, religions, and orientations.
- He was the first member of the royal family to hire a person of color as a senior palace aide in 2017.
- His household staff and charity initiatives now reflect Britain’s multicultural landscape.
Modernizing Communication and Rules
- As Prince of Wales, Charles pioneered the monarchy’s use of TV interviews, documentaries, and social media to communicate with the public.
- As king, he has continued modernizing by allowing more informal portraits and welcoming his daughter-in-law Kate as the first commoner queen consort.
- He also updated archaic rules to allow royals to marry Catholics and is reportedly planning to open some palaces year-round to the public.
His Environmental Advocacy
King Charles’ decades-long advocacy for environmental protection is also a key driver behind his widespread respect. He is considered a pioneer in speaking out on climate change.
Early Warnings About Climate Change
- Charles was warning about environmental damage and climate change as early as the 1970s, long before most politicians, scientists, or public figures acknowledged it.
- He continues to speak out about the climate crisis, including high-profile speeches at events like the 2021 COP26 summit.
Action Through His Sustainable Business Empire
- For over 15 years, Charles has run his Duchy Organic brand of foods, products, and estates according to organic and sustainable principles. The brand is highly profitable.
- His efforts show that sustainability can be commercially viable as well as planet-friendly.
Inspiring Widespread Change
- Thanks in part to Charles’ advocacy, environmentalism is now central to the UK government’s and the royal family’s agenda.
- Concepts like organic farming, rainforest conservation, and plastic reduction have gone mainstream.
- As king, Charles plans to continue using his platform to urge climate action and shift public attitudes.
His Support for Young People
Another area where Charles has made his mark is in his advocacy for opportunities and wellbeing for young people, especially those most vulnerable in society.
Backing Youth Training Programs
- Via his Prince’s Trust, Charles has provided essential job and life skills training to disadvantaged youth who struggled in mainstream education. Over 1 million young people have benefited.
- He funds programs offering counseling, entrepreneurship guidance, and professional qualifications to boost youth employment prospects.
Championing Youth Mental Health
- Charles has been outspoken about the need to destigmatize mental health issues for young people.
- He’s worked with groups like the World Health Organization to encourage youth mental health education.
- His Prince’s Foundation offers arts-based therapy programs to support young people’s wellbeing.
Connecting with Young People
- Charles frequently meets with youth involved in his charities and social initiatives to listen to their experiences and offer encouragement.
- His friendly demeanor when interacting with young crowds humanizes the monarchy and generates respect from younger generations.
His Steadfast Support of Queen Elizabeth II
Importantly, Charles has also earned admiration for the dutiful support he showed his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, up until her death. This consolidated his image as a loyal family man.
Being Queen Elizabeth’s “Pride and Joy”
- While the mother-son relationship had ups and downs, they grew very close, with Elizabeth referring to Charles as her “pride and joy” in recent years.
- Charles was the only family member who the Queen permitted to make decisions on her behalf as she aged.
- He accompanied her to nearly all engagements in her final years as her health declined.
Smooth Transition of Power to Charles
- Charles worked closely with the Queen’s advisers for years prior to her death to ensure a seamless transition when he became king.
- His moving televised address to the nation the day after the Queen’s death demonstrated his abilities as a dignified, competent leader.
- The peaceful transition of authority to Charles has been widely praised.
Honoring the Queen’s Legacy
- Charles has been careful to emphasize his devotion to continuing his mother’s legacy and upholding her values.
- He paid loving tribute to the Queen at her funeral and has highlighted that his reign will emulate hers.
- His commitment to honoring the Queen’s memory has endeared him to her many fans globally.
His Happier Public Image Recently
Another shift that has boosted Charles’ appeal is the happier image projected since his 2005 marriage to Camilla, now Queen Consort. Charles appears comfortable and confident in his public role and marriage.
Overcoming a Controversial Romance
- Charles and Camilla’s romance initially stirred controversy in the 1990s when both were married to other people.
- With sensitivity and discretion, they slowly overcame public skepticism to legitimize their relationship.
- Their evident happiness together today has softened Charles’ overall image.
Camilla’s Warm Personality
- Camilla has proven to be smiling, approachable, and witty at public engagements.
- She is credited with bringing out Charles’ own charm and lighter side.
- Their affection, humor, and support for one another engages people emotionally.
elders Statesman Image
- In his 70s, Charles comes across as an experienced, thoughtful elder statesman, in contrast to perceptions earlier in his adulthood of being stuffy.
- His energy, passion for causes close to his heart, and eagerness to listen to citizens has shone through.
- He displays warmth and authenticity in a way many didn’t associate with him previously.
In summary, King Charles III has earned significant popularity and respect since becoming monarch in September 2022 due to:
- His lifetime of preparation and dedication to serving as king
- His forward-thinking vision for a streamlined, modernized monarchy
- His advocacy for crucial issues like the environment and youth welfare
- His supportiveness toward Queen Elizabeth and ensuring continuity after her death
- His reinvented public image as an amiable, happily married grandfatherly figure
While Charles endured periods of negativity over his long wait to rule, today he is embraced by many in Britain and globally as an admirable king. Charles’ mix of earnest devotion to duty, dogged perseverance, and compassion for causes close to his heart inspires admiration in his people. At 73 years old, King Charles III is finally enjoying his time in the sun.
Frequently Asked Questions about Why People Love King Charles III
What were King Charles III’s biggest controversies?
Prior to becoming king, Charles’ biggest controversies revolved around his divorce from Princess Diana, his extramarital affair with Camilla, and perceptions that he was cold toward his children William and Harry. However, over time Charles has largely overcome past negativity.
How popular is King Charles III versus other royals?
According to polls, Charles enjoys roughly 60-70% approval – higher than his siblings Anne, Andrew and Edward but lower than his late mother Queen Elizabeth II. His wife Camilla and son Prince William are also slightly more popular. However, Charles’ popularity is steadily rising.
How has King Charles modernized the monarchy?
As Prince of Wales, Charles reduced costs, opened palaces to the public, increased diversity in hiring, used more social media, gave interviews, and welcomed a commoner as his second wife. As king he aims to continue a more streamlined, inclusive monarchy.
Why does King Charles speak out about climate change?
Charles has long been passionate about environmental protection. He aims to use his platform as king to advocate for climate action and shift public attitudes on sustainability. Many praise him as being ahead of his time.
Is King Charles more popular than Prince William?
Currently Prince William is marginally more popular than his father, but William’s approvals are falling while Charles’ are rising. Many feel William’s image is less statesmanlike and substantive than Charles’ at this stage. But given different roles, direct comparisons are difficult.
How did King Charles support Queen Elizabeth as she aged?
Charles took over growing numbers of Queen Elizabeth’s duties as her mobility declined. He accompanied her to almost all engagements in her final years and was one of the few people she allowed input from regarding her official work. Charles’ support and respect for his mother earned him public admiration.
Has Camilla, the Queen Consort become more popular?
Yes, Camilla’s warmth, humor, and support for Charles have gradually overcome skepticism and boosted her appeal. She went from being one of the least popular royals to surpassing Charles and Kate Middleton in approval. Her happiness with Charles has helped rehabilitate his image.
What parts of King Charles’ vision are controversial?
While many support Charles’ push for a leaner monarchy focused on direct heirs, some feel it is excluding valued royal family members. Others feel he is too political on issues like climate change. However, overall Charles garners more praise than criticism for his modernizing vision.
How involved is King Charles with charities?
Extremely involved. Charles founded and directly oversees around 20 charities. He attends meetings, visits programs onsite, meets with recipients, fundraises, and communicates regularly with his charity heads. His extensive philanthropic work is a core part of his identity.