Letitia Wright is a Guyanese-British actress who is best known for playing Shuri in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame.
While Wright has received praise for her acting abilities, she has also faced backlash in recent years for controversial statements she has made regarding topics like vaccination and trans rights.
Why Do Some People Dislike Letitia Wright?
Letitia Wright has garnered criticism and backlash for several reasons:
In December 2020, Wright was criticized for sharing an anti-vaccine video on Twitter that questioned the safety and effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines.
Many felt her platform as a celebrity could negatively influence people’s perceptions of the vaccines. She was called out by fellow Marvel actors Don Cheadle and Liam Cunningham for promoting misinformation.
In September 2020, Wright received backlash for tweeting and liking transphobic posts. One post she liked referred to transgender women as “men masquerading as women.” Many considered these actions to be transphobic and an endorsement of anti-trans viewpoints.
Perceived Divisiveness on Black Panther 2 Set
There have been reports that Wright’s controversial views have caused conflicts on the set of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, the sequel currently in production. Allegedly her stances have made some crew and cast members uncomfortable. However, these reports are unconfirmed.
Support of Nick Cannon After Anti-Semitic Comments
When Nick Cannon made anti-Semitic comments on his podcast in 2020, Wright showed support for him on social media. Since Cannon’s comments were widely criticized, her support also drew backlash and accusations of anti-Semitism.
Refusal to Comment on Vaccination Status
Unlike other Marvel stars like Simu Liu and Paul Rudd, Wright has refused to share whether she is vaccinated against COVID-19 or not. Her silence on the topic fuels assumptions that she is anti-vaccine.
How Has Letitia Wright Responded to Controversies?
Letitia Wright has addressed some of the controversies surrounding her in a few ways:
- Apologized for Anti-Vaccine Video: After facing criticism for sharing the questionable video, Wright tweeted an apology saying her intention was not to hurt anyone and she is still learning about important topics.
- Deleted Some Social Media: Wright has deactivated both her Twitter and Instagram accounts at different points when receiving backlash online.
- Focused on Work: In interviews, Wright has preferred not to discuss controversies, saying she would rather focus on her work and well-being.
- Remained Mostly Silent: Aside from the apology for the anti-vax video, Wright has largely stayed silent rather than address recent controversies directly.
Wright’s responses have been regarded by some as insufficient. Her lack of further explanation or discussion of controversial stances has kept many of the criticisms active.
Why Do These Controversies Matter?
The debates surrounding Letitia Wright highlight some important considerations:
- The influence celebrities have in shaping public opinion, especially regarding health
- How promoting unproven science or misinformation can negatively impact society
- The importance of being inclusive, avoiding transphobia and anti-Semitism
- The responsibility public figures have for their words and actions
- Balancing freedom of speech with empathetic, ethical approaches
For these reasons, Wright’s stances spark important conversations about celebrities using their platforms responsibly. The controversies also raise concerns about how her opinions could impact her future Marvel projects.
KeTakeaways About Letitia Wright’s Controversies
- Wright has faced backlash for anti-vaccine and transphobic tweets, supporting Nick Cannon, and not denouncing anti-Semitism.
- She has apologized for sharing an anti-vax video but largely stayed silent on other issues.
- Her views are seen as divisive and irresponsible by those who expect more inclusivity from public figures.
- The debates spark wider conversations about celebrities’ influence and freedom of speech.
- Marvel has not commented but some worry her controversies could impact her MCU role going forward.
In summary, actress Letitia Wright has faced significant backlash in recent years for her controversial statements and stances surrounding topics like vaccines, trans rights, and anti-Semitism.
Her anti-vaccine video sharing, transphobic tweet liking, support of Nick Cannon, and refusal to disclose her own vaccination status have all sparked criticism that her views are divisive and irresponsible given her platform.
While Wright did apologize for the anti-vaccine video, she has largely stayed quiet on the other issues rather than engaging in meaningful dialogue. The debates surrounding her spotlight important conversations about freedom of speech, celebrities’ social influence, and being inclusive as a public figure.
It remains to be seen if her controversies will impact her standing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe going forward. While not everyone may agree with Wright’s opinions, the discourse brings awareness to being thoughtful in how we communicate about complex topics in the public eye.
Frequently Asked Questions About Letitia Wright’s Controversies
Has Letitia Wright been fired from Marvel?
No, as of now Letitia Wright still has her role as Shuri in upcoming Marvel projects like Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Marvel has not made any public statement about firing Wright from the MCU at this time.
What anti-vaccine video did Letitia Wright share?
In December 2020, Letitia Wright tweeted a YouTube video titled “COVID-19 VACCINE, SHOULD WE TAKE IT?” The video questioned vaccine safety and made other dubious claims. It has since been removed by YouTube for violating policies.
What did Letitia Wright say that was transphobic?
On Twitter, Wright liked and shared tweets that referred to transgender women as “men” and implied that trans women are not real women. These actions were viewed as an endorsement of transphobic viewpoints.
How did Letitia Wright support Nick Cannon after his anti-Semitic comments?
When Nick Cannon was fired from ViacomCBS for making anti-Semitic claims on a podcast, Letitia Wright posted a prayer hand emoji on Cannon’s apology post. She was criticized for supporting him rather than condemning his offensive comments.
Has Letitia Wright’s controversies affected Black Panther 2 filming?
There have been anonymous reports that Wright’s opinions have caused some issues on the set of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever currently filming. However, nothing has been substantiated or confirmed by Marvel or other cast/crew members.